- Products & Services
- Direct and Smelting Reduction
- SL/RN process
Outotec® SL/RN process
Improve thermal efficiency and meet environmental standards with an SL/RN production plant. The SL/RN process was developed in the early 1960s by Outotec in collaboration with three US companies. The process principles are the basis for numerous rotary kiln plants and still represent the dominant technology for the direct reduction of lump ore or pellets using coal.
- Operates with the widest range of iron-bearing materials, such as pellets, lump ore, beach sand, ilmenite and also iron ore fines with SL/RN-Xtra.
- Works with an extensive range of reductants, such as sub-bituminous coals and lignites, bituminous coals, and in special cases also anthracite and coke breeze
- Improves thermal efficiency with waste heat recovery systems in combination with export power generation
- Meets environmental standards for emissions control
- Can increase capacity with multiple line installations and an optimized material flow